Sunday, January 27, 2013
And once again, life has thrown up roadblocks on this project, and I didn't get as far as I had hoped. But I did finish the petticoat, so that's better than nothing. I keep reminding myself that this is an unfinished OBJECT challenge, not an unfinished OUTFIT challenge, so I'm counting this as a minor victory anyway.
The petticoat is made out of some machine embroidered voile that I bought on clearance for next to nothing. It's not authentic, but I thought it was reminiscent of the beautiful embroidered petticoats from the 18th c. The construction is based on petticoats like the ones covered in this tutorial. The only thing creative about this whole project is that I spent a lot of time distressing it so that it looks worn and old. I dyed and splattered the hem with a mixture of brown and dark green dye. Then I ripped holes all along the bottom and tried to fray the bottom edge. I also stitched up some of the rips with some hand-spun yarn, and I added a few patches here and there with scraps of striped fabric.
I'm going to continue working on the jacket over the next few weeks, and I hope to have the whole outfit done in time for the embellish challenge. I've changed up the jacket design quite a bit from my original sketch - the big frockcoat looked great in the drawing, but when it started coming together, I discovered it was much less flattering in real life. I'm still not 100% sure what the jacket will look like when I'm done, but hopefully I'll figure something out this month.