This week's Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge was "separates", so I decided to make up one of my antique 1910's patterns that I bought this summer. It is a very basic 7-gore skirt, and I'm guessing that it is from the very early 1910's. As is often the case with patterns from this period, it actually turned out to be more A-line than the pattern drawing leads you to believe. I made it from some wool houndstooth from my stash in green and black, and my original intention was to make a jacket to go with it later this fall. It went together really quickly over the weekend, so that was nice since I was pretty exhausted from CoCo, and I was looking for a project that didn't require much effort.
But unfortunately, I'm not in love with the final skirt. There's some odd puckering along a few seams that refuses to iron out, and even though I sized it down twice, it is still too roomy over the hips, which you can't really see in this picture, but it is more obvious in life. Also, I was hoping for a skirt with straighter lines so it would have a more "modern" 1910's look. This flared shape is a bit old-fashioned for the jacket I had picked out, so there's a pretty good chance that this will be the one and only wearing of this skirt. I think I'll take it apart and try again with a different pattern when I get around to making the jacket.
Welcome to my project blog! I am an artist and seamstress who is obsessed with fashion history. I tend to focus on the Renaissance through the mid-20th century styles, but I sometimes dabble in fantasy costuming and modern sewing as well.