The latest Historical sew fortnightly challenge was "embellish". Since this is a busy time of year for me, I decided to keep things simple and just decorate a hat. I bought a bunch of wide-brimmed wool hats from Target last year, and I thought these would make a wonderful pirate hats. All they need is some wire around the edge and a bit of trimming.
Before: floppy and boring...
After: piratey and AWESOME!
I bought the vintage trim that I used around the edges at the Antique Elegance show two weekends ago, but everything else came from my stash. After I wired and bound the edges, I folded the brim up and stitched the edges together at the sides to keep it in place. I also added tassels to the ends like you see in some period bicorns, but I chose tassels that were raggedy and worn to make it look more pirate-ish. I decorated the front with a ribbon cockade made with the wonderful instructions on the blog Idle Hands (part 1 and part 2). I also added a bunch of feathers to the top based on two 1780's fashion plates from Galerie des modes et costumes français showing women wearing heavily embellished bicorns.
And that's pretty much it! All of the embellishment was hand-sewn, and it probably only took me 3 hours from start to finish. Here are a few more pics to show how it looks for other sides.
Welcome to my project blog! I am an artist and amateur seamstress who is obsessed with fashion history. I tend to focus on the Renaissance through the mid-20th century styles, but I sometimes dabble in fantasy costuming and modern sewing as well.