Although I'm moving at a snail's pace on this costume, I finished one more piece of my new pirate outfit - the waistcoat - and was able to wear it to Scarborough Faire this past weekend.
My ultimate goal is to also make a jacket to wear over the this under-bodice. My plan for the waistcoat and jacket is inspired by these two amazing waistcoat/jacket combos from around 1790.
Although most 18th c. women's waistcoats like this one would probably have a plain linen back and lacing to make it adjustable, I decided to use the wool fabric for the back so it would look more complete on its own. While the long-sleeved jacket will make quite a dandy pirate look, it might not be the most comfortable thing to wear at blazing hot Texas faires. It'll be nice to have the option of wearing this outfit either way depending on the weather.
The wool is a very fine grey and black stripe, and the bodice is lined with soft cotton canvas. I used hook and eyes up the center front, and the cording and silver metal buttons on the front are mostly just decorative. I used a combination of modern and period sewing techniques while making this bodice, but I made sure to include some visible topstitching with unbleached linen thread to give it a little more of a rustic look.
Like the hat and the petticoat, I made this project as a Historical Sew Fortnightly entry. This one is for the "By the Sea" challenge, and I had so much fun posing by the pirate ship at the Renaissance festival to fit the nautical theme. At some point, I still need to do some more distressing on the waistcoat and my under-petticoat. Compared to the hat and the floral petticoat, these other garments look a little too perfect and new. But other than that, I'm really happy with the way this outfit is coming along, and I can't wait to start working on the jacket so I can call it 100% finished!